I’ve finally found some free time, so I’ve decided to spent it in the kitchen baking cakes. I have always preferred the home-made sweets to the store-bought ones. I absolutely love brownies; however, today I’ve decided to add a twist to the classic recipe. I was inspired by Dubravica’s chocolate muffins. By the way, the recipe is a family recipe from my mother’s cookbook, but I’m sharing it with you.
400 grams of flour
250 grams of sugar
5 egg yolks
5 egg whites
20 grams of baking soda
110 grams of cocoa powder
100 grams of oil
500 mililiters of milk
OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS (you can add it, but it is not necessary).
diced walnuts or almonds
The recipe is for 28cm*39cm baking tray and the cake will be approximately 3cm tall.
1. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolk. Put them into two separate bowls (the bowl in which you have put the yolk should be bigger).
2. Add the sugar and half the amount of milk into the egg yolk and blend it.
3. Mix the baking soda with the flour and then gradually add flour spoon by spoon into the egg yolk. Be sure to mix all the time. If the mixture is too thick, add the remaining milk.
4. Add the oil and blend. I prefer the sunflower oil.
5. Add the cocoa powder (pure cocoa powder, no sugar added) slowly and blend it.
6. Now whip the egg whites. You’ll know it is finished when the egg whites look like a whipped cream. You can also check it by turning the bowl with the whipped whites upside down. The whipped egg whites shouldn’t budge.
7. Slowly mix the whipped egg whites with the egg yolk, flour, sugar and cocoa powder mixture. Use a big spoon and blend it slowly. You can use the blender later (use the lowest speed).
8. (Optional) Put the chocolate chips into the mixture and stir it with a spoon.
9. Pour the mixture into the baking tray in which you have previously put the baking paper (so that you can easily take the cake out). You can use any paper, but you have to oil a bit.
10. (Optional) Sprinkle the mixture in the tray with the diced walnuts or almonds.
11. Put the tray into the heated oven (180 degrees Celsius) and let the cake bake for 40-50 minutes. You can check if the cake is finished by puncturing it with a metal knife. When the knife is pulled out, it should be clean.
12. (Optional) After the cake is finished and still hot, you can sprinkle it with rum, to get a better aroma.
13. Serve the cake. Bon appétit.
I always reduce sugar amount in the recipes as I don’t like the cakes to be too sweet. According to the original recipe, you should put 450 grams of sugar, but this is way too much for me. If you don’t find this variety sweet enough, you can easily add more sugar.